The annual cost of plant and equipment theft is thought to be upwards of £400m, according to The National Plant and Equipment Register (TER); a figure which could rocket as work starts on the Olympic development.
Last year, thefts were recorded by the TER, and the figures were on average 20% higher than in 2004, with dumper trucks recording the greatest increase (+54%).
The most attractive items to thieves are excavators with 1,169 being stolen, accounting for 43.3% of total theft value.
- Ex-Das CEO Paul Asplin stands trial for fraud
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Ex-AA boss Bob Mackenzie seeking up to £225m in damages
- Das v Asplin: Prosecution outlines arguments on fraud charges
- Axa partners with Gresham in £20m deal
- InsurTech Futures: PwC and Early Metrics launch programme to scale start-ups
- SEIB eyeing buys to support ongoing organic growth