The UK motor insurance market had its best year in 2018 since records began, according to Ernst & Young (EY).
The net combined ratio for 2018 was 94.8%, which marks a 2% improvement over 2017, and the best result since EY began tracking the market in 1985.
EY partly credited the strong performance in 2018 to premium strengthening in 2017.
The firm also noted that insurers were releasing their reserves in expectation of an improved Ogden discount rate being announced in August, with many
The Insurance Age editorial team dig into this week's top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Construction firm unable to find insurance due to lack of capacity
- NED salaries in the insurance sector revealed
- Mactavish criticises industry for "knee-jerk reaction" in hardening market
- FSCS agrees Alpha replacement cover deal
- ABI bites back on discount rate
- Brokers must transform to evade threat of AI - report
- FCA reiterates dual pricing concerns