The UK motor insurance market had its best year in 2018 since records began, according to Ernst & Young (EY).
The net combined ratio for 2018 was 94.8%, which marks a 2% improvement over 2017, and the best result since EY began tracking the market in 1985.
EY partly credited the strong performance in 2018 to premium strengthening in 2017.
The firm also noted that insurers were releasing their reserves in expectation of an improved Ogden discount rate being announced in August, with many
The editorial team get their teeth into the top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Government reveals recalculated Ogden rate
- Insurers disappointed by the new discount rate
- Lloyd’s strategy change gets market backing
- Danish regulator orders Gefion not to expand its business volume
- Chris Guillaume formally hands over CEO role
- CRL close to finding replacement for Alpha policies
- Insurance Cares: FCA consults on travel cover for people with medical issues