In one of the shortest news cycles in recent insurance sector history, Aon confirmed reports that it was in talks to buy Willis Towers Watson on 5 March only to announce the deal would not be pursued less than 24 hours later.
The broking giant revealed in a statement that it had been forced to disclose the discussions at a very early stage in the process due to Willis Towers Watson being an Irish firm with certain regulatory requirements.
The story originally took many brokers by surprise,
- Brokers warned over admin fees and commission
- Ardonagh closes 24 Swinton branches
- Mactavish chases “ultimate failure” £30m British Steel claim
- Mactavish names all British Steel insurers
- Gibraltar insurer, Lamp, goes into liquidation amid insolvency
- In Person: Simon Cooter and Carolyn Callan, Covéa
- BGL launches new short-term motor insurance brand