In one of the shortest news cycles in recent insurance sector history, Aon confirmed reports that it was in talks to buy Willis Towers Watson on 5 March only to announce the deal would not be pursued less than 24 hours later.
The broking giant revealed in a statement that it had been forced to disclose the discussions at a very early stage in the process due to Willis Towers Watson being an Irish firm with certain regulatory requirements.
The story originally took many brokers by surprise,
The Insurance Age team unpick the most recent and most popular stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- One Call’s Radford launches motor broker
- Lloyd's reveals soaring profit for H1 2019
- Saga considering sale of Bennetts for second time, say reports
- Hobbs reveals Allianz’s £35m debut at Lloyd’s
- TL Dallas posts turnover and profit growth for 2018
- Uber boss joins Inshur following partnership deal
- Samways retires after decade at Miles Smith