In one of the shortest news cycles in recent insurance sector history, Aon confirmed reports that it was in talks to buy Willis Towers Watson on 5 March only to announce the deal would not be pursued less than 24 hours later.
The broking giant revealed in a statement that it had been forced to disclose the discussions at a very early stage in the process due to Willis Towers Watson being an Irish firm with certain regulatory requirements.
The story originally took many brokers by surprise,
The editorial team get their teeth into the top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Government reveals recalculated Ogden rate
- Insurers disappointed by the new discount rate
- Documents reveal government actuary recommended a 0.25% discount rate
- FCA warns of Moneysupermarket clone
- Hastings expects £8.4m hit from Ogden rate change
- Fact file: What’s the story with the Ogden Rate?
- Chris Guillaume formally hands over CEO role