How did you start in insurance?
I started directly from school when I saw an advert in the [then] Glasgow Herald for an insurance trainee. I went along and got an interview with Law Union and Rock.
I did everything from stoke the boiler to writing up the premiums for whisky distillers. I moved to Kendal in 1966 as an agency inspector.
When did you start the company?
A friend worked in Bermuda for a company that ran a Lloyd's agency. They wanted to set up something here so in 1972 he said, "I'll
- Folgate teams up with MS Amlin for 2019
- Vivek Banga to leave Gallagher for Polaris
- Motor insurance pay-outs soar to record levels
- Bridge breaks through £10m barrier
- Profile: Peter Cullum, Towergate founder and GRP chairman
- InsurTech Futures: Start-up With Jack authorised by the FCA
- Blog: Should brokers be concerned?