The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) received 1,456,396 enquiries in 2017/18 up 4.4% on the previous year.
Some 45% of the enquiries were about payment protection insurance (PPI).
The Ombudsman’s Annual Review for 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018 detailed that the enquiries led to 339,967 new complaints being opened of which 55% were about PPI.
Insurance more widely accounted for 11% of all complaints.
The organisation also provided a further breakdown of the figures excluding
- Mixed feelings from brokers on Aviva's subscription product
- A Plan delivers further profit and turnover growth in 2018
- ICB and Finch owner aiming to double by 2022
- Circle expands again in 2018
- Bluefin fine – 32 FCA staff directly involved in investigation
- L&G's general insurance up for sale - report
- US and UK agree post-Brexit insurance trade deal