The average fine issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for failing to protect against data breaches has doubled to £146,000 in the year to 30 September 2018, according to RPC.
The law firm calculated that the total value of penalties imposed by the ICO in the period rose to £4.98m, up 24% from £4 million the year before (see graph).
It listed three of the largest fines in the last year:Equifax, which was fined the maximum £500,000 for failing to protect the personal
The Insurance Age team unpick the most recent and most popular stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Hobbs reveals Allianz’s £35m debut at Lloyd’s
- UK Broker Awards: Winners revealed
- Samways retires after decade at Miles Smith
- Clear set to make more deals this year
- Clive Edwards becomes CEO of Aspen Insurance UK
- Tokio Marine Kiln restructures management
- FSCS pays out to Lamp GAP and health customers