▶ What was the HNW market like when Hiscox was originally set up?
I started out because I loved art and paintings. There was no distinction for HNW – it was done at a standard Lloyd’s rate. They would get excited about postal codes and ratings. I thought that was ridiculous because it depended on the house. I saw an opportunity and when I started no one wanted to cover a policy over £500,000, but I thought ‘the bigger the better’. I used to say while I was at Lloyd’s ‘bring me your rich’.
- Biba warns of 'uncharted waters' as Theresa May's Brexit deal is rejected
- In Person: Jacques Verlingue boss of Adélaïde Group, owner of Finch and ICB
- Qudos Insurance liquidator writes to UK customers
- PIB merges underwriting offerings
- GRP-owned County buys Swinford Insurance Consultants
- Close Brothers Premium Finance restores contact centre after outage
- Cross-border broker partnership plans escalate ahead of Brexit