Speculation of a sale had of course been raging for months beforehand.
The question of why the process has taken quite so long - and indeed the announcement was of four weeks of exclusive talks rather than a deal - is just one that is still to be answered.
However the overwhelming reaction from brokers has been one of relief.
The French-owned insurer has been in limbo for too many months and while brokers were initially supportive there is no doubt that the pressure was, and still is, on the pro
- Tasker Insurance names Robert Organ as new CEO
- ASA reveals insurance advertising complaints
- Ex Towergate and Bluefin boss Kenny Hogg joins Gallagher as Scotland lead
- Staysure snaps up travel rival Avanti
- New motor fleet MGA launched
- GWP slips to $2.39bn at QBE Europe in half year results
- Hiscox adds drone cover and more to home insurance product