Speculation of a sale had of course been raging for months beforehand.
The question of why the process has taken quite so long - and indeed the announcement was of four weeks of exclusive talks rather than a deal - is just one that is still to be answered.
However the overwhelming reaction from brokers has been one of relief.
The French-owned insurer has been in limbo for too many months and while brokers were initially supportive there is no doubt that the pressure was, and still is, on the
- Folgate teams up with MS Amlin for 2019
- Profile: Peter Cullum, Towergate founder and GRP chairman
- Bridge breaks through £10m barrier
- Up to 50 jobs at risk amid RSA specialty and wholesale restructure
- In-depth - SMEs: Adding value
- Markerstudy and Co-op silent on deal progress
- Blog: Should brokers be concerned?