The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) now regulates more than 58,000 firms, according to its latest authorisation document.
The total includes 1,500 businesses such as insurers and banks that are dual-regulated with the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
And the latest document revealed that in 2017/18 the watchdog judged more than 4,400 authorisation applications from firms.
In total only 11 were refused (see graph below).
Between December 2017 and March 2018 the regulator
- Laurent Matras takes interim Axa retail MD role as Gareth Howell departs
- Profits up at Allianz in 2018
- Legal Protection Group confirms loss of Inter Hannover capacity
- Towergate’s Andy Parkin resurfaces at Gauntlet
- Market moves: Across the board
- Regional review: Cardiff
- Up to 275 jobs at risk at Axa XL in the UK