The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) now regulates more than 58,000 firms, according to its latest authorisation document.
The total includes 1,500 businesses such as insurers and banks that are dual-regulated with the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
And the latest document revealed that in 2017/18 the watchdog judged more than 4,400 authorisation applications from firms.
In total only 11 were refused (see graph below).
Between December 2017 and March 2018 the regulator
- Experts urge brokers to look over remuneration after FCA warning on GI distribution failings
- Wonga's Tara Waite (formerly Kneafsey) returns to insurance with Ageas role
- Nick Milton to develop Pen Underwriting’s broker strategy replacing Simon Taylor
- Tokio Marine Kiln’s Blundell joins Biba
- Brexit and customer fairness dominate FCA 2019/20 plans
- FCA proposes £537.7m fee budget for 2019/20
- PIB seeking to raise £100m - £200m to fund growth