The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) now regulates more than 58,000 firms, according to its latest authorisation document.
The total includes 1,500 businesses such as insurers and banks that are dual-regulated with the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
And the latest document revealed that in 2017/18 the watchdog judged more than 4,400 authorisation applications from firms.
In total only 11 were refused (see graph below).
Between December 2017 and March 2018 the regulator
The Insurance Age team examine the most read stories for the week commencing 3 June 2019.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Elite proposes solvency scheme to avoid liquidation
- IFB launches counter fraud database
- Motor market records best year since 1985 ahead of troubled future, says EY
- Momentum Broker Solutions unveils 2018 results
- Broker Network owner set to make more deals with fresh funding
- Brokers call on HMRC to reform IPT
- Two TMK executives resign amid fresh sexual harassment claims at Lloyd's