Fitch Ratings has cautioned that the introduction of price caps could depress industry profits.
The warning follows a proposal by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to introduce price caps on rolling contracts in multiple markets.
The department is aiming to remedy the ‘loyalty penalty’ that existing customers pay above new customers. Price disparities across five markets, including insurance, are estimated to cost customers £4bn per year.
In a statement published on 24 June, Fitch
The editorial team get their teeth into the top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Government reveals recalculated Ogden rate
- Insurers disappointed by the new discount rate
- Lloyd’s strategy change gets market backing
- Danish regulator orders Gefion not to expand its business volume
- Chris Guillaume formally hands over CEO role
- CRL close to finding replacement for Alpha policies
- Insurance Cares: FCA consults on travel cover for people with medical issues