The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) handed out £229,515,303 in fines in 2017.
For brokers the figure was dominated by the £4m bill sent to Bluefin. However, Deutsche Bank topped the charts with a £163m punishment.
The 2017 figure was far from the largest annual total – see graph below – but it was certainly not the smallest either.
And compliance experts have stressed that the regulator’s appetite for using the tool will not diminish in the next 12 months or indeed years to come.
- Ardonagh picks up selected renewal rights from Ageas Retail in £7m deal
- Eldon Insurance states none of its data was used by Leave.eu campaign
- Stackhouse Poland buys Honour Point
- Primassure moves from SSP and Open GI to Applied
- Is the talent pool drying up?
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Aggregators eating into SME business – GlobalData