After failing the medical to become a pilot in the Royal Airforce, David Hopwood took the only logical next step – he embarked on a career in insurance.
Hopwood’s first job was with Royal Insurance and in 1989 he moved to Layton Blackham, a small broker in London’s West End.
“There were five of us back in 1989 and in 2007 we’d built that business to a 300 people business, through a combination of acquisition and organic growth,” he remembers.
The company was bought by Axa in 2007 and, along
- Markerstudy buys Co-op underwriting in £185m deal
- Markerstudy to use Co-op’s brand after deal
- Aston Lark buys Irish broker Robertson Low
- Mark Cliff joins Be Wiser as NED
- Ageas consults on closure of Stoke and Port Solent operations
- Axa UK hires Shali Vasudeva as COO from Hiscox
- InsurTech Futures: Zurich partners with travel start-up Pluto