This is a story that looks set to keep journalists, and the insurance industry generally, guessing for some time yet.
But with the Towergate behemoth creaking and straining under the weight of its £1bn debt, there's plenty for a potential buyer to think about.
And the broker will be hoping its bankers/creditors do not decide to play Scrooge over the difficulties it currently has with liquidity.
Marsh and to a lesser extent the likes of Aon, Arthur J Gallagher and Willis, are widely tipped
- Gallagher buys Pavey Group
- Professional indemnity rates set to harden
- Fusion sports team moves into Geo Specialty after Ardonagh sale
- Aviva aims to disrupt the market with new subscription-style product
- Opinion: Peter Cullum on the value of consolidation
- Brightside targeting £250m GWP within five years
- The Blog Spot: Solving dual pricing with three figures