This is a story that looks set to keep journalists, and the insurance industry generally, guessing for some time yet.
But with the Towergate behemoth creaking and straining under the weight of its £1bn debt, there's plenty for a potential buyer to think about.
And the broker will be hoping its bankers/creditors do not decide to play Scrooge over the difficulties it currently has with liquidity.
Marsh and to a lesser extent the likes of Aon, Arthur J Gallagher and Willis, are widely tipped
- Aviva pulls agency with GRP
- Ardonagh posts £14.1m loss for Q1 2018
- Amazon “working with” UK brokers and insurers
- AIG warns of rise in data breaches as GDPR comes into force
- Video: GDPR – Marketing: what brokers can and can’t do
- Coversure backers Livingbridge “not done” with insurance investments
- Alpha: Cover My Cab steps in with Gefion policies