This is a story that looks set to keep journalists, and the insurance industry generally, guessing for some time yet.
But with the Towergate behemoth creaking and straining under the weight of its £1bn debt, there's plenty for a potential buyer to think about.
And the broker will be hoping its bankers/creditors do not decide to play Scrooge over the difficulties it currently has with liquidity.
Marsh and to a lesser extent the likes of Aon, Arthur J Gallagher and Willis, are widely tipped
- CMA to investigate aggregator over “strong concerns” on insurer relationships
- Swinton targets becoming largest digital broker in the UK
- Former Aviva CEO Patrick Snowball joins Sabre board
- PIB buys specialist charity MGA aQmen Holdings
- NIG adds Farm Combined to FarmWeb e-trade platform
- Optimism among brokers falls slightly
- Innovation brings its own rewards