The Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, Liz Truss, has cut the discount rate - also known as the Ogden rate - from 2.5% to minus 0.75% effective 20 March 2017.
The rate is used by courts when applying a calculation to the returns on the lowest risk investments, typically Index Linked Gilts, for victims of life-changing injuries who accept lump sum compensation payments.
The actual amount they receive is adjusted according to the interest they can expect to earn by investing it.
- Legal Protection Group confirms loss of Inter Hannover capacity
- Towergate’s Andy Parkin resurfaces at Gauntlet
- Laurent Matras takes interim Axa retail MD role as Gareth Howell departs
- Profits up at Allianz in 2018
- Up to 275 jobs at risk at Axa XL in the UK
- Market moves: Across the board
- Consolidation opens up opportunities, says Romero boss