The Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, Liz Truss, has cut the discount rate - also known as the Ogden rate - from 2.5% to minus 0.75% effective 20 March 2017.
The rate is used by courts when applying a calculation to the returns on the lowest risk investments, typically Index Linked Gilts, for victims of life-changing injuries who accept lump sum compensation payments.
The actual amount they receive is adjusted according to the interest they can expect to earn by investing it.
By making t
- Premium Credit explains taking system offline
- MMC confirms up to 3,750 jobs in danger from JLT takeover
- MMC boss Dan Glaser lifts the lid on the 11 day JLT deal
- Ex broker jailed for £140,000 fraud
- Gallagher and Ardonagh in legal dispute
- Brokers see opportunity in MMC’s JLT takeover
- Broker named on FSCS insolvency list