The Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, Liz Truss, has cut the discount rate - also known as the Ogden rate - from 2.5% to minus 0.75% effective 20 March 2017.
The rate is used by courts when applying a calculation to the returns on the lowest risk investments, typically Index Linked Gilts, for victims of life-changing injuries who accept lump sum compensation payments.
The actual amount they receive is adjusted according to the interest they can expect to earn by investing it.
By making t
- Court knocks out top cage fighter's whiplash claim
- Midas takes on Direct Group’s commercial business
- Una Conference 2017: MRIB joins Una Alliance
- Lycetts appoints Charles Foster as CEO
- MP tables motion in Parliament urging government to freeze IPT
- Amazon states “disruption” plans in job advert
- Broking Break: Your Top 5