2016 has been the year of Insurtech investment. According to analyst firm CB Insights, venture capital firms made 126 investments in insurance globally in the first nine months of 2016, with a total value of $1.4bn (£1.1m), compared with 118 for the whole of 2015 and 26 in 2011.
The growing hype is also reflected in guest articles on Techcrunch (11 versus 2) and the number of Insurtech conferences.
The bulk of global startup investments have been made historically in health care and in the US.
- Andy Fairchild exits Broker Network
- Ed appoints broking CEO
- Members surprised at Fairchild’s Broker Network exit
- InsurTech: Meet the tech insiders
- Stackhouse Poland buys Property Insurance Initiatives
- Broking success: Toby Clegg, chief executive officer, Clegg Gifford
- Call for evidence on discount rate setting welcomed