Underinsurance is a major issue in the SME market, with estimates suggesting that anything from 40% to 70% of buildings aren't insured for the full reinstatement value. But where the sum insured is inadequate, it can have serious repercussions for the business owner.
Where underinsurance comes to light on a loss, insurers can apply a proportionate remedy, asking for additional premium, imposing different policy terms or reducing the claim payment.
"It's a serious issue when a business owner has
The Insurance Age team unpick the most recent and most popular stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Ardonagh losses rise to £44.5m in H1 2019
- Brightside hires new MD of broking as Russell Bence exits
- Gauntlet expands into Wales with two new ARs
- FSCS set to compensate Alpha Insurance latent defect insurance policyholders
- Bravo Group spent £53m on deals in 2018
- Call Connection's administration extension confirmed
- GRP buys risk management firm H&S Click