The decision follows receipt of an interim report given to the SFO by Grant Thornton, provisional liquidators in the UK. The SFO is liaising closely with law enforcement counterparts in the United States and with the City of London Police.
The action follows US revelations before Christmas and public concern in the UK about the robustness of Madoff's UK operations.
Commenting on the opening of the investigation, the director of the SFO, Richard Alderman said: "This is a good example of the SFO's n
- Ardonagh picks up selected renewal rights from Ageas Retail in £7m deal
- Eldon Insurance states none of its data was used by Leave.eu campaign
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Ex-Das CEO Paul Asplin stands trial for fraud
- Two thirds of UK manufacturers lack cyber insurance cover
- Ardonagh looking at deals worth £500m
- SSP adds Pex Insure to panel