The group said net income for the year to end-December 2008 fell to $2.9bn from $4.6bn a year earlier. Travelers was hit hard by pretax catastrophe losses of $1.408bn, down from pretax losses in 2007 of $167m.
Investment-wise, Travelers reported pretax investment losses for the year of $415m, down from gains of $154m the year before.
However, Travelers chairman and chief executive Jay Fishman was confident of the group's prospects for 2009.
"We believe that Travelers is well positioned in the curr
- Tasker Insurance names Robert Organ as new CEO
- ASA reveals insurance advertising complaints
- Ex Towergate and Bluefin boss Kenny Hogg joins Gallagher as Scotland lead
- Bennett Christmas buys Horsham-based Slade Edwards Insurance
- Confused.com sees profits halve for start of 2017
- Bollington's Paul Moors hails "excellent" results for 2016
- Staysure snaps up travel rival Avanti