The group said net income for the year to end-December 2008 fell to $2.9bn from $4.6bn a year earlier. Travelers was hit hard by pretax catastrophe losses of $1.408bn, down from pretax losses in 2007 of $167m.
Investment-wise, Travelers reported pretax investment losses for the year of $415m, down from gains of $154m the year before.
However, Travelers chairman and chief executive Jay Fishman was confident of the group's prospects for 2009.
"We believe that Travelers is well positioned in the curr
- Ardonagh picks up selected renewal rights from Ageas Retail in £7m deal
- Ardonagh looking at deals worth £500m
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Brunel Insurance Brokers achieves chartered status
- AIG sets up “Brexit-resilient” structure
- Ex-Das CEO Paul Asplin stands trial for fraud
- Das v Asplin: Prosecution outlines arguments on fraud charges