In October 2011 Mark Hodges picked up the reins at Towergate. Come March the following year Peter Blanc took over as group chief executive at Oval.
The very next month Brendan McManus took on the challenge of recalibrating Giles.
If you think about the people they replaced - Peter Cullum, Phillip Hodson and Chris Giles - then it truly was a changing of the guard.
These were deal makers, good at buying up businesses and, looking back at it, good at racking up debts.
- CBL Insurance placed into liquidation
- Gallagher set to ink another deal before Christmas
- Marsh unveils Marsh-JLT Specialty plans
- Top 100 2018: Find out who made the list
- Broker Choice Awards: The winners
- Fresh founder Lisa Powis rejoins insurance sector with tech business
- Jade Insurance teams up on health insurance with sports focused My Club