The arguments were heated, a rift in the Cabinet became daily fodder for the media and then finally a total ban on smoking was agreed. But where does a total ban leave the insurance industry?
The health risks associated with smoking are now well recognised and accepted - could such a move result in an increased numbers of claims? And could disease associated with tobacco become the next asbestos?
The fear is that one successful claim could result in a barrage with costly consequences for
- Bluefin fine – 32 FCA staff directly involved in investigation
- Mixed feelings from brokers on Aviva's subscription product
- A Plan delivers further profit and turnover growth in 2018
- Geoff Kirk joins GRP’s Marshall Wooldridge as MD
- Roundtable: The tech revolution
- US and UK agree post-Brexit insurance trade deal
- Circle expands again in 2018