The arguments were heated, a rift in the Cabinet became daily fodder for the media and then finally a total ban on smoking was agreed. But where does a total ban leave the insurance industry?
The health risks associated with smoking are now well recognised and accepted - could such a move result in an increased numbers of claims? And could disease associated with tobacco become the next asbestos?
The fear is that one successful claim could result in a barrage with costly consequences for insur
- Vantage buys Fresh Insurance
- FSCS calls on brokers to help form response to Alpha failure
- Reich targeting £100m of GWP by 2022
- Unrated Danish insurer Gefion in €2m cash injection deal with shareholders
- InsurTech Futures: Hiscox first insurer to sign up to ex-Aviva boss Fraser Edmond’s data sharing platform
- Pen writing up takeover “shopping list”
- Allianz to get £250m commercial business boost from LV deal