Aspen Insurance Holdings rejected an unsolicited takeover proposal from Endurance Specialty Holdings of $3.2bn [£1.92bn].
Endurance had offered to pay $47.50 per Aspen share with 60% coming in its own stock and 40% in cash.
The board of directors at Aspen stated that they had carefully reviewed the offer but found it was not in the best interests of the business or its shareholders.
Glyn Jones, chairman of the board, said: "Endurance's ill-conceived proposal undervalues our company,
The editorial team get their teeth into the top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Lloyd’s suspends employee for “inappropriate comments” – report
- Brokers monitoring capacity shortages after TMKI run-off
- Tokio Marine Kiln Insurance to go into run-off
- Tokio Marine Kiln: Figures revealed following closure of UK arm
- Market moves: Change is in the air
- GRP’s County Group purchases Eric Rawlins & Company
- Profit margins for UK brokers at highest level in eight years