Under the proposals, lenders would be banned from selling PPI to borrowers within 14 days of them taking out a loan.
The commission says it would give consumers more time to compare alternative products. However, the ABI says the move would leave millions of consumers unprotected.
Nick Starling, the ABI's director of general insurance and health, said: "This is devastating news for consumers. By effectively denying consumers PPI in the very economic climate that they need it most, the Competition
- Losses bite at Ageas Retail after Kwik Fit closure
- David Charles steps down as head of PIB-owned Cooke & Mason
- New motor fleet MGA launched
- Lark boosts profit ahead of Aston Scott merger
- Ageas teams up with CDL on Flood Re solution
- Meet the Leeds Expo panellists: Simon Mabb
- Verisk to buy Sequel for £250m