A ghost broker has been sentenced to three years by the Old Bailey, for his part in what is believed to be the UK’s biggest fake car insurance scam.
Following an investigation by the Insurance Fraud Enforcement Department (IFED), Danyal Buckharee was arrested for creating four fake websites offering “cheap” car insurance – Aston Midshires Insurance, Astuto Insurance, Car Insurance Warehouse and First Car Direct Insurance.
Between May 2011 and April 2012, Buckharee duped 600 drivers into buying
The Insurance Age editorial team dig into this week's top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Construction firm unable to find insurance due to lack of capacity
- NED salaries in the insurance sector revealed
- Mactavish criticises industry for "knee-jerk reaction" in hardening market
- FSCS agrees Alpha replacement cover deal
- ABI bites back on discount rate
- Brokers must transform to evade threat of AI - report
- FCA reiterates dual pricing concerns