Return on investment was also up to 3.9% (2006: 2.5%) and Hero Insurance, its retail broking arm, grew to almost 230,000 policies. However, its operating ratio fell to 100.9% (98.1%: 2006), a result that group chief executive Andrew Gibson blamed on a flat market and the pressure on claims costs.
Richard Gamble, Highway chairman, said: “A strong investment performance in the first six months has resulted in an interim result that is well ahead of 2006.
“Underwriting conditions remained chall
- One Broker buys Gibbs Denley Insurance Services
- Gadget insurance aggregator launched
- Profits soar at Bollington in 2016
- Tasker Insurance names Robert Organ as new CEO
- Bennett Christmas buys Horsham-based Slade Edwards Insurance
- UK businesses “unprepared for a cyber shock”
- In-depth - Personal lines: The omni-channel future