Return on investment was also up to 3.9% (2006: 2.5%) and Hero Insurance, its retail broking arm, grew to almost 230,000 policies. However, its operating ratio fell to 100.9% (98.1%: 2006), a result that group chief executive Andrew Gibson blamed on a flat market and the pressure on claims costs.
Richard Gamble, Highway chairman, said: “A strong investment performance in the first six months has resulted in an interim result that is well ahead of 2006.
“Underwriting conditions remained chall
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Ex-Das CEO Paul Asplin stands trial for fraud
- Ex-AA boss Bob Mackenzie seeking up to £225m in damages
- Ardonagh looking at deals worth £500m
- Das v Asplin: Prosecution outlines arguments on fraud charges
- InsurTech Futures: PwC and Early Metrics launch programme to scale start-ups
- InsurTech Futures: Gadget and motor products go live on Brolly