The rate of insurance premium tax (IPT) will rise again next June to 12%, the third increase in the space of 18 months (see graph below).
Brokers launched a scathing attack on chancellor Philip Hammond after the November Autumn Statement, claiming IPT is a stealth tax on consumers.
The government maintained in an official statement that IPT is a “tax on insurers and it is up to them whether and how to pass on costs to customers”.
But Brendan Dawson, group managing director of insurance
- Allianz prepared for "turbulent" 2019
- Podcast: Top five stories this week with Axa's Jon Walker
- Consolidation opens up opportunities, says Romero boss
- Blog: How is the debate around cyber affecting clients?
- Profits up at Allianz in 2018
- Market moves: Across the board
- InsurTech Futures: Tapoly unveils broker platform for on demand products