Napoleon once described the British as "a nation of shopkeepers".
Two centuries later, nothing much has changed. According to the British Retail Consortium, there are over 188,000 VAT-registered retail businesses in the UK, operating in more than 322,000 outlets. More than 30% of all consumer spending goes through these shops, which employ 11% of the UK's workforce. It is a sector no insurer or broker can afford to ignore.
Simon Cooter, director of small business at Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA),
- CBL Insurance placed into liquidation
- Marsh unveils Marsh-JLT Specialty plans
- Gallagher set to ink another deal before Christmas
- Top 100 2018: Find out who made the list
- Up to 50 jobs at risk amid RSA specialty and wholesale restructure
- Fresh founder Lisa Powis rejoins insurance sector with tech business
- Broker Choice Awards: The winners