Napoleon once described the British as "a nation of shopkeepers".
Two centuries later, nothing much has changed. According to the British Retail Consortium, there are over 188,000 VAT-registered retail businesses in the UK, operating in more than 322,000 outlets. More than 30% of all consumer spending goes through these shops, which employ 11% of the UK's workforce. It is a sector no insurer or broker can afford to ignore.
Simon Cooter, director of small business at Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA),
- Ardonagh picks up selected renewal rights from Ageas Retail in £7m deal
- Eldon Insurance states none of its data was used by Leave.eu campaign
- Stackhouse Poland buys Honour Point
- Primassure moves from SSP and Open GI to Applied
- Is the talent pool drying up?
- Towergate owners post £261m loss for 2017
- Aggregators eating into SME business – GlobalData