Mr Smith - who was previously Ageas UK CEO - has been tasked with overseeing the implementation of the insurer's strategy in the UK, Belgium, Asia and Continental Europe with immediate effect.
He will report to Ageas group CEO, Bart De Smet.
A spokesman confirmed that Mr Smith will remain based in the UK and as part of Ageas' UK board.
Mr Smith, COO of Ageas Group, said: "Ageas is already a very strong business with a clear strategy and clear targets towards 2015, focused on the needs of our
- Biba warns of 'uncharted waters' as Theresa May's Brexit deal is rejected
- In Person: Jacques Verlingue boss of Adélaïde Group, owner of Finch and ICB
- Qudos Insurance liquidator writes to UK customers
- PIB merges underwriting offerings
- GRP-owned County buys Swinford Insurance Consultants
- Close Brothers Premium Finance restores contact centre after outage
- Cross-border broker partnership plans escalate ahead of Brexit