Mr Smith - who was previously Ageas UK CEO - has been tasked with overseeing the implementation of the insurer's strategy in the UK, Belgium, Asia and Continental Europe with immediate effect.
He will report to Ageas group CEO, Bart De Smet.
A spokesman confirmed that Mr Smith will remain based in the UK and as part of Ageas' UK board.
Mr Smith, COO of Ageas Group, said: "Ageas is already a very strong business with a clear strategy and clear targets towards 2015, focused on the needs of our
- David Ross accused of “not caring” about acting lawfully
- Aston Lark buys Highworth Insurance
- Zurich temporarily pulls out of direct home
- Allianz hires Gerry Ross as head of commercial motor
- Marsh-owner gains approval to buy Jardine Lloyd Thompson
- Arch Insurance International invests in MGA
- First Central Insurance & Technology takes CEO from Hastings