The research revealed that in 2010, start-up companies less than a year old represented 47.1% of Simply Business applications - an annual growth rate of 1.4%.
This compares with declines of 5.5% in 2009 and 4.5% in 2008 as the effects of recession led to a sharp fall in the number of new companies being launched.
The data also shows a very uneven picture across different sectors and regions.
London is the only region which has demonstrated strong growth overall in 2010, with a 7% growth in start
The editorial team get their teeth into the top stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Government reveals recalculated Ogden rate
- Insurers disappointed by the new discount rate
- Lloyd’s strategy change gets market backing
- Danish regulator orders Gefion not to expand its business volume
- Chris Guillaume formally hands over CEO role
- CRL close to finding replacement for Alpha policies
- FCA issues fresh clone broker warning