The research revealed that in 2010, start-up companies less than a year old represented 47.1% of Simply Business applications - an annual growth rate of 1.4%.
This compares with declines of 5.5% in 2009 and 4.5% in 2008 as the effects of recession led to a sharp fall in the number of new companies being launched.
The data also shows a very uneven picture across different sectors and regions.
London is the only region which has demonstrated strong growth overall in 2010, with a 7% growth in start
The Insurance Age team unpick the most recent and most popular stories.Subscribe to our daily newsletter for all the latest news
- Hobbs reveals Allianz’s £35m debut at Lloyd’s
- UK Broker Awards: Winners revealed
- Samways retires after decade at Miles Smith
- Clear set to make more deals this year
- Clive Edwards becomes CEO of Aspen Insurance UK
- Tokio Marine Kiln restructures management
- FSCS pays out to Lamp GAP and health customers