Clearly there are other attractions - carols, food, drink, merriment to name just a few - but it is also a prime time for making lists.
From presents to buy to presents to request, from achievements in the past year to ambitions for the next it really is a bountiful time of list opportunities.
And for the monthly print version of Insurance Age the December edition also presents the opportunity to make lists of the big stories of the past year.
To be totally accurate it is only the last 11 months
- Brexit deal does not work for brokers, says Biba
- Aviva writing to customers after renewal transparency failing
- Up to 50 jobs at risk amid RSA specialty and wholesale restructure
- Profile: Peter Cullum, Towergate founder and GRP chairman
- Manchester critical of Simply Business’ cyber stance
- Marsh unveils Marsh-JLT Specialty plans
- Markerstudy and Co-op silent on deal progress