However, the simple fact that the suspected suitors named across the media ran to Allianz, Aviva, Generali, QBE and Zurich did raise a few flags.
I've listed them alphabetically rather than by the amount of links they got in the press but the key point is a lack of one definite frontrunner.
Generali was first out the block to categorically state that it "denied" having plans for a bid.
As for the others allegedly eyeing up RSA, well Allianz and Aviva declined to comment, as did Zurich when it
- Andy Fairchild exits Broker Network
- L&G's general insurance up for sale - report
- Members surprised at Fairchild’s Broker Network exit
- InsurTech: Meet the tech insiders
- Stackhouse Poland buys Property Insurance Initiatives
- US and UK agree post-Brexit insurance trade deal
- MGA Fiducia and Hiscox sever marine cargo ties